CQ101 Close Quarter Maneuvering and Precise Docking 6-12 hours

This course is a hands on at the helm powerboat handling course designed specifically for those who wish to improve their close quarters maneuvering and precise docking skills. This 6-12 hour program is conducted onboard your vessel or one of US Boat School’s training vessels, up to 36’. It is taught by professional, US Coast Guard licensed Master Captains who are also certified Instructors in close quarter maneuvering and docking. We use the progressive method of teaching. The skills learned in this class are fundamental requirements for the competent boater. It is designed as a stand alone program. Successful completion of CQ 101 earns the student certification on either a twin or single inboard vessel or an outboard/stern drive vessel. This valuable program is highly regarded by both experienced and novice boaters alike.

Course Description

Classes are conducted in 6 hours in 2 days of underway instruction on either a: Single or twin inboard vessel Outboard or I/O. Your course begins with a dockside vessel orientation and pre-departure inspection followed by close quarters maneuvering practice including:

»   Docking and undocking in a protected slip bow and stern firstopen water

»   360 degree turns in tight Quarters

»   Coming alongside a facing pier (such as a fuel dock) both port and starboard

»   Backing down 100 yards in a narrow channel

»   Back and Fill into a slip

»   Docking and undocking using spring lines.

Instructors will also cover:

»   Vessel refueling safety Procedures

»   Proper use of a VHF marine

»   Understanding and using Navigational Aids

»   Basic Rules of the Road

Admission Persons attending this program must be at least 15 years of age, submit a properly completed and signed Registration Form and have an official photo ID on the first day of class. Each class requires a minimum of three (3) students. Should you be the only student in the class requesting a particular vessel or propulsion type, you can receive a private class.

Upon completing a 12 hour course you will receive a Close Quarter Maneuvering Certificate by either the National Safe Boating Council (up to 26’) or the Recreational Power Boating Association (26’- 60’)









Combination 16 hour Classroom and Hands on, at the helm.

This Course Nationally recognized 

Taught by a USCG License Captain

This course is for anyone who wants to learn how to safely operate a motorboat and improve their boat handling skills on actual boats. Your instructor is a  US Coast Guard licensed captain and NYS BOATING AND PWC SAFETY CERTIFICATE. The National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) has approved this course and most states have recognized it and meets their requirements for a state boating safety education certificate. These national and state approvals call for the course to include a total of eight hours of classroom sessions covering required education topics. Students learn:

Classroom Sessions On-the-Water Sessions
 ≡ Boats  and Motors  ≡ Pre-departure Check lists
 ≡ Review of Engine & electrical systems  ≡ Equipemt
 ≡ Fueling and Ventilation  ≡ Line Handling and Knots
 ≡ Fueling and Ventilation  ≡ Basic Navigation
 ≡ Preparation for getting underway  ≡ Planning a day trip
 ≡ The Marine Environment  ≡ Leaving & returning to a slip
 ≡ Rules of the Road  ≡ Close-quarters maneuvers
 ≡ Boat operations  ≡ Anchoring
 ≡ Seamanship  ≡ Handling wakes & rough water
 ≡ Navigation  ≡ Proceeding to a destination
 ≡ PWC Personal Water Craft  ≡ Man overboard drills 
 ≡ Boating Related Activities  ≡ Docking
 ≡ Accidents and Emergencies  ≡ Post-departure Check lists


Ages 10-Adults Minimum age differs state to state


COMPLETION OF THIS COURSE WILL EARN; NASBLA certificate, state Safe Boating/PWC Education Certificate (in applicable states), US BOAT SCHOOL Safe Boating certificate.


 US Boat School Open Water Boat Control.

The Open Water Boat Control Course is all about basic boat handling.

The 4 hour course is designed for the boat owner/operator who wants to improve their skills on the water. Make their guests comfortable and safe. Learn communication skills needed on the water as well.


On-the-Water Sessions

» Pre-departure Check lists                                » Close-quarters maneuvers

» Line Handling and Knots                                  » Anchoring

» Basic Navigation                                              » Handling wakes & rough water

» Planning a day trip                                           » Proceeding to a destination

» VHF Radio Procedures                                      » Man overboard drills

» Leaving & returning to a slip                           » Docking








Frequently Asked Questions … ????



 Who is required to have a Boater Safety Certificate?

 Everyone who operates a personal watercraft and are at least 14 years of age. Until 2009 operators age 10-13 can still operate with 


You wish to operate a motorboat (other than a personal watercraft) and you are at least 10 years old and less than 18 years old.

If you are less than 10 years old you may operate a motorboat (non-PWC) only if someone over 18 is on board with you. Anyone may operate a personal watercraft if someone at least 18 years old is riding on the craft and they hold a safety certificate.

As of October  2013, Everyone who operates a motorboat in Suffolk county.

Our opinion is that soon all persons operating a motorboat in NYS will require Boater Safety Certificate.


Is a certificate the same thing as a license?

There is no boating “license” in NYS. Unlike a license, a certificate is good for life. It does not need to be renewed regularly, as does a license.

It is a NASBLA approved Course that is acceptable by most states.


What is the education requirement for personal watercraft?

All operators of personal watercraft must have a Boating Safety Education Certificate in their possession to operate a personal watercraft.


 What is a personal watercraft (PWC)?

 A personal watercraft is a boat less than 16 feet in length that uses an internal combustion motor powering a water jet pump as its primary

source of propulsion. It is designed to be operated by a person sitting, standing, or kneeling rather than in the conventional manner of boat operation. 

Personal watercraft are better known to the public by brand names that include Jet Ski®, Sea Doo®, Wave Runner®, Tiger Shark®, Wet Jet®, etc.


How do I get a Boating Safety Education Certificate?

You need to successfully complete an 8 hour class by a NYS Certified Instructor or NASBLA approved boating course and accompanying examination. Schedules and course descriptions are listed on our course schedule and location page....GO TO COURSE SCHEDULE AND REGISTRATION PAGE


How much do courses cost?

Boating course fees taught by USBOATSCHOOL.COM vary from location to location, a fee is often required. Fees are listed on the course


A separate fee of $10 is required for all candidates over 18 for NYS to send you a Boater Safety Card. Although Children 10-18 have to pay for

the course, there is no fee for the NYS card.


Can I take an online course?

No. Only certificates issued by New York State, the USCG Auxiliary or the US Power Squadron are acceptable. State law requires that the

New York Safe Boating Program includes at least eight hours of classroom instruction, and a proctored exam. Any certificate issued by the

Coast Guard Auxiliary or Power Squadron is acceptable.


I earned a state safety certificate when I was young. Does that count?

Yes, provided you still have a copy of your original certificate, and you were under the age of 18 at the time. Records do not exist for courses

taught prior to the early 1990's.


I lost my certificate, How can I get a replacement? What if I lost my temporary certificate?

Please complete and print the Application for Replacement NY Safe Boating Certificate and mail it to the address indicated on the form with

a check or money order for $10. Please allow three to four weeks for processing. If you lost your temporary certificate you will have to wait

until your permanent certificate is issued. Temporary certificates cannot be replaced.


Can I get study material before the course

Yes, Click on this link for NYS Textbook


>>>>  Register for this course


If you have any other questions please email us INFO@USBOATSCHOOL.COM